Friday, June 10, 2011

Things That Piss Me Off: Bad Grammar Edition

Let me begin with this: I do not know everything there is to know about grammar. I am not an expert nor do I claim to be. I will occasionally use bad grammar in my posts...rest assured that is solely for effect. I like to believe that I have a firm grasp on the English language. With that said, here's what pisses me off:

Through the years I have had several jobs that have required me to read statements that others have written. Things like incident reports or statements of injury: accounts of an event interpreted by the person writing the statement. You know, an "in your own words" type of thing. Based on these statements alone, I could probably write a book, but I will start with this. There. Their. They're. All pronounced the same... All different.

There - in or at that place <stand over there> —often used interjectionally 

Their - of or relating to them or themselves especially as possessors, agents, or objects of an action <their furniture>

They're - they are 

Seriously... All different words. Ignorance is a disease people! Get immunized.  


Your turn. What pissed you off today?

No comments:

Post a Comment